Remember The Dead
ATLANTIC CITY — Actor Johnny Depp led the Hollywood Vampires on stage but it was 68-year-old front man Alice Cooper who stole the show Sunday night at Borgata's Event Center.
The rock supergroup, featuring Cooper, Depp and Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry, flawlessly rocked their way through a 21-song, 90-minute set in support of their self-titled debut album.
Cooper's strong voice and stage theatrics were backed by the exceptional guitar playing of Perry, who showed off his style early on in the Jimi Hendrix cover "Manic Depression."
Depp played wingman most of the night to Cooper's vocals and Perry's guitar. Any skills that he might have, other than a few guitar solos, were mostly lost in the mix of the six other musicians on stage.
Those musicians included Stone Temple Pilots bassist Robert DeLeo, drummer Matt Sorum (the Cult, Guns N' Roses), guitarist Tommy Henriksen (Alice Cooper's band) and pianist, percussionist and guitarist Bruce Witkin (Johnny Depp's group the Kids).
"Hollywood Vampires started as a drinking club," Cooper explained about halfway through the show. "All are dead except me." He then dedicated the next song, "Dead Drunk Friends" to all of his drunk friends.
Cooper then traded in lead vocals for the harmonica in the Fleetwood Mac cover "Stop Messin' Around." Perry sang and shared guitar solos with Depp.
"I quit drinking whiskey," said Cooper when remembering a conversation he had with Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister, who died in December. "I'm drinking vodka now."
The band then rocked their way through a cover of Kilmisters' "Ace of Spades."
"Thank you New Jersey," said Cooper as the band gathered together after playing "Sweet Emotion," the last song of the set.
"If we did not do one of your favorite covers they probably aren't dead yet."
The band returned to the stage to close out the show with Tiny Bradshaw's Train Kept a Rollin' and Cooper's "School's Out," which was arguably the fan favorite of the night.
But before leaving the stage, Cooper couldn't help but tease the audience by saying, "I know some of you girls have been asking about Johnny's room number."
"It's 20 something."
THE SET LIST
- Raise the Dead (original)
- I Got a Line on You (Spirit cover)
- Rebel Rebel (David Bowie cover)
- Suffragette City (David Bowie cover)
- Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix)
- Five to One/Break on Through (Doors cover)
- As Bad as I am (original)
- 20th Century Boy (T. Rex cover)
- Bang a Gong (T Rex cover)
- Come Together (The Beatles cover)
- 7 and 7 Is (Arthur Lee, Love cover)
- Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin cover)
- Dead Drunk Friends (original)
- Stop Messin' Around (Fleetwood Mac cover)
- Ace of Spades (Motorhead cover)
- Pinball Wizard (The Who cover)
- My Generation (The Who cover)
- I'm Eighteen (Alice Cooper cover)
- Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith cover)
- Train Kept a Rollin' (Tiny Bradshaw cover)
- School's Out (Alice Cooper cover)
Hollywood Vampires will perform in the area next on Sunday July 10 at the Ford Amphitheater at Coney Island Boardwalk in Brooklyn, New York.